Friday, March 20, 2009

No hard feelings

I don't have much new news to share. I did go to work for four hours each day this week. In addition, I had physical therapy on Monday and Wednesday morning and a visit to my allergist on Thursday. I have been a little tired when I get home from work, so I've been taking a rest on the couch for an hour or so each night - not necessarily sleeping, but definitely taking a break.

I'm trying to be diligent about doing my quad stretches for my right knee so I don't have to see an orthopedist or have knee surgery to relieve the tightness caused by scar tissue around my knee. My left shoulder is doing well though and has noticeably increased strength. My hand is still weird, but I'm being patient about that.

I forgot how much I dislike sitting in my chair at work. I don't know why it's so uncomfortable, but it is. Not sure how I'm going to make it through an entire 40-hour week...ugh.

Here's a story:

I hadn't seen my allergist since before the whole acoustic neuroma thing started. When he came into the exam room, he said, "I haven't seen you in awhile." And I said, "Yep. Do you remember the last appointment when you said you thought I had polyps again, and I said that I was going to an ENT the next day to find out about this ringing in my ear?" He nodded. I said, "Well, it turns out I had an acoustic neuroma, and I had brain surgery five-and-a-half weeks ago."

My allergist looked a little stunned and repeated twice, "YOU had an acoustic neuroma?" Then he flipped through my chart and said quietly, "I don't know how I missed that. Did you have hearing loss?" I said, "Just a little." He was upset that he didn't catch the tumor, but really, there was no way for him to know about it. I had never mentioned the ringing or hearing loss (I didn't even know I had hearing loss until the first hearing test) to him, so I don't see how he thought he could have known about it. I guess it's just that it's in his general area of anatomical expertise, so he felt partially responsible for watching out for stuff like that. Oh well, there are no hard feelings on this end.

1 comment:

  1. Yeh its Dad, I finally put you on my computer at work! Can you see about getting a different chair at work, I'm sure they would be sympathic
    about your request. Have a good weekend, and get some rest!

    ReplyDelete