Saturday, February 14, 2009

Monday may be the day

Dr. T came by a few minutes ago to say that I'm looking good but that my blood sugars need to be a bit closer to normal before I can go home. The steriod is being stepped down, but he doesn't know how low it needs to be before I'll be ok since (repeat after me...) everybody is different. It looked like he'd like me to be able go home though, so that's good.

Diet Coke and chocolate are two fallen soldiers in this whole thing so far. The metallic taste in my mouth makes them unappetizing, but I am getting hungrier. I told Phil that I want to eat three grilled cheese sandwiches and two brats, but not necessarily all at once. My neck is very stiff still. I did get the feeling back in the pinky finger of my left hand though, so that's a victory.

Not being able to sleep at night makes you more tired during the day, so at least one part goes faster. My eyelids still look like they're inside out - when I close them, I feel like I'm looking at bugs and weird stuff that's growing. Various bruises are healing too, including a goofy one under my left eye from the facial nerve monitoring during surgery. I'd like to get this last IV line out so it can start to heal, plus it's not being used for anything anyway. I haven't taken any pain meds stronger than OTC Tylenol, which was a bit surprising but not totally unexpected. The PT gave us some names for vestibular therapists closer to where we live - getting back to normal may definitely take some time. Walking in a straight line is ok, but I think I look zombie-like. Could also be from my bed-head. Need to find out more about showering.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kim! How are you today? So sorry to hear you lost your appetite for chocolate (especially on St. Valentine's Day!) But the grilled cheese and brats sound wonderful! How amazing that you only take OTC meds! You are doing great! I am sure the zombie feeling is temporary.... As you get stronger and stronger, the walking will get easier.
    I am thankful for Dr. T. and his 'magic hands!' --I am wishing good things for you - restful sleep and healing. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

    Sue O.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed about the Tylenol! What's with all the strength? Trying to win a prize at a carnival or something? I had a sore throat today and was whining that the strongest thing that they had at the store was TheraFlu.

    I love reading your postings. Get well soon!

    Love,
    Jen
    (Hanauer)

    ReplyDelete