Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Back at home for 24 hours

I got to go home last night, and it's so much better here. It's obvious how much sleep I wasn't getting at the hospital - my bed is way more comfortable. I finally got partly clean tonight, but my hair is still one big dreadlock. I can't wash it until at least tomorrow. It's insane how many bruises are all over my body. I've been awake for about 3 hours and then I take a 3 hour nap. It's working out pretty well.

Here's an overview of how I feel from head to toe:
  • Head - satisfactory. Stiff neck still, can't turn head too much but it doens't really hurt. My non-AN ear is having some eustachian tube issues (it won't pop/I can only hear myself breathe - kind of annoying when your hearing is gone from the other side) but Dr. C said to try some Afrin nasal spray for a couple of days and then come in if it won't stop. I could see it being related to allergies, but this has never happened before. It goes away if I lay down to sleep, only to reappear an hour or so after I wake up.
  • Shoulders - satisfactory. Seems to be loosening up.
  • Arms - very satisfactory. Bruises but most of the residual sticky stuff from tape and IVs has been removed.
  • Left hand - unsatisfactory. Still can't feel all fingers, still have weird skin pains. Did therapy putty exercises.
  • Torso - satisfactory. Heparin shot sites are a bit painful/bruised but not a problem.
  • Legs - unsure. The pressure points on my right leg are still weird, feels like a large bandage is taped over my leg. Can't fully feel touches on the right side of my right knee.
  • Diabetes - improved. Blood sugar actually registered in the 100s tonight before dinner. Sweet!! I'm down to 1 mg Decadron every 6 hours.
Major props to Phil for his showering assistance tonight. You did a great job :) Also special thanks to KG for driving us home last night, and to Alice for her help today.

No comments:

Post a Comment