Sunday, February 15, 2009

Complaints welcome

I thought that the diabetes wouldn't be so difficult to take care of. Apparently an endocrinologist wasn't consulted until last night when they asked me about calling my doctor. He said he was happy to help and offered some advice. I don't know why they didn't think to involve him or someone like him until now. Granted, my blood sugars are still out of range. But they just kept asking me what to do, and I have no experience with steroids - how am I supposed to know what will happen?? And, I just had surgery.

Additionally, I am barely eating, so I really don't think my diet is affecting my blood sugars, as someone noted in passing. Thanks for your opinion...(blank stare).

I'm closer to the low end of the mg range of the steroid, Decadron, now, so that's good. You can't stop it cold turkey though, so I have to finish the however many days of it there are. I'm burning through insulin like water and hardly making a dent. Very strange feeling, as I'm usually very sensitive to insulin.

Had I realized that this was going to be more of an issue, I may have tried to get more plans in place beforehand for the management of the diabetes, but it sounded like they knew what to do. Turns out all they did was ask a bunch of PAs what they thought and then left it up to me. If there was a treatment technique for AN removal/control that didn't involve steriods, I would totally do that, but I think it's pretty unavoidable. I hope I never have to go back on them again for the rest of my life.

3 comments:

  1. Hope today turns out to be the day you get to go home. Sam and Anna told me they miss you... rwly dey did! Glad to hear your recovering like a rock star and look forward to hearing more good news soon. All the best, Kimbo! Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's so great to hear you and knowing you are recovering so well. thinking of you and wishing you a wicked super fast recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kim! Hope today is going better for you - who would think you had to have it in writing that a doctor (endocrinologist) was consulted prior to surgery? I think you can try to anticipate all things, but sometimes it doesn't work out no matter how hard you try! - Sounds like you are now back on track and hopefully can go home soon.

    My best to you - thoughts and prayers from Sue (aka Suboo)

    ReplyDelete