Friday, April 10, 2009

Vestibular study results

The researcher from the study got in touch with me this week to go over the results. Basically, he confirmed what I already knew: that my eyes move with my head when it turns to the left, and although the right side is better, it also has some deficiencies. His recommendation is to see a vestibular therapist for a couple of sessions to get some eye exercises that will help retrain my eyes and brain.

I told him I've noticed that since I've been getting out and doing more activities (running, walking, step aerobics), my bouncy vision and overall stability has seemed to improve. He thought that was a good sign that it may be able to fix itself over time without the help of a vestibular therapist but that I may still benefit from a session or two.

I think I'm going to wait another month to see what happens and how much I can do on my own, and then decide about the vestibular therapy. Hopefully the weather will start being more consistently warm so I can get out and about more frequently. I ran outside a second time this past weekend, and the "drunkenness" of my eyeballs was much less severe than the first run a week earlier. I think that's a good sign :)

(He sent me a page with graphs that show my "canal plane responses," and I have no idea what they mean, but I thought they looked cool. Also, he said that I am welcome to participate in additional testing with the wired contact lenses, but that I am under no obligation to do so. I might do it again, we'll see.)

No comments:

Post a Comment