Monday, September 29, 2008

That wasn't what I expected to hear

I went to see Dr. K today. He was disappointed at the results of my ABR test and said that it was unresponsive, indicating that my hearing may not be able to be preserved. What I didn't understand was, if that was the case, why could I still hear fine out of that ear? He looked over my spinal MRI films and said that there were no incidences of additional tumors, so I probably don't have NF2. In order to completely rule it out though, I would need to have genetic testing done, but since I have no family history of it, he felt it would be unnecessary to do that.

After we went over those things, I asked about the CyberKnife, which seemed to catch him off-guard. He started looking very uncomfortable and suggested that I see the radiation oncologist to ask about that specifically. He gave me the name of the doctor, and then basically the appointment was done. I felt like I had done something wrong, but I was just trying to get all of the facts.

(In the interest of full disclosure, this post was actually written on 1/29/09.)

No comments:

Post a Comment