Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Press the button when you hear the sound

I went for my first-ever hearing test today. I guess I've probably had one or two while I was growing up, but this one seems like the real deal. I go into a soundproof booth, and then the testing guy puts microphone things in my ears and hands me a button. I press the button when I hear the beeps, which range in tone and volume. Then he says a word and asks me to repeat it. The test doesn't take very long, and he shows me the results: I have hearing loss in my left ear, but my right ear is fine. On my way home, I got somewhat upset, thinking, "Of course I can't hear EVERYTHING, the ringing is in the way! Which came first, the hearing loss or the ringing? Are they connected? I don't understand what's going on."

(In the interest of full disclosure, this post was actually written on 1/28/09.)

No comments:

Post a Comment