Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Baltimore, here I come

Phil and I went up to Johns Hopkins for the first time today. Dr. C, a neuro-otolaryngologist I found through a search on the discussion forum, was willing to see me on his off-day, only a few days after I initially called to make an appointment.

Our first impression was that even though the hospital isn't in the greatest part of town, the facility itself seems really good. The security at the entrances is reassuring, and the staff is very friendly and helpful. After we headed up to the appropriate floor, we found that the patient intake system is organized with a numbered ticket dispenser, which allows for patient confidentiality as well as creates confidence among the patients that they aren't being forgotten.

The appointment with Dr. C went well. We met first with a younger resident-type guy who took my history and cleaned a glob of wax out of my left ear. Then Dr. C came in and went over the treatment options (watch & wait, surgery, and radiation), focusing on the retrosigmoid surgical procedure. He said that, at Hopkins, they're excellent at retrosigmoid, good at translab, and they don't do middle fossa, and he talked to us about what to expect post-surgery in terms of headaches, loss of balance, and general recovery.

Dr. C also did a thorough examination of my current state of balance by asking me to do some marching in place with my arms extended and my eyes closed, and he checked my vestibular function by turning my head quickly and seeing if my eyes were able to stay focused on his nose. I was able to pass these tests, meaning that my balance nerve was still working and that I may have a harder time after surgery since my other vestibular nerve hasn't done a lot of compensating already.

At the end of the appointment, Dr. C said that I should make an appointment with Dr. T, the neurosurgeon, and schedule a new audiogram. He also gave me the surgical consent forms to look over and bring back next time I saw him if I wanted to have surgery there.

Overall, our impressions of Johns Hopkins and Dr. C were extremely positive, and we left there smiling and feeling very confident that these doctors would take good care of me.

(In the interest of full disclosure, this post was actually written on 1/30/09.)

No comments:

Post a Comment