Friday, August 8, 2008

Reading between the lines

Phil (my husband) and I went to pick up the films and letter at Dr. W's office first. I went up to the receptionist's window and said my name and that I was there to pick up my MRI. The receptionist handed me an oversized envelope and said "good luck" in a hushed voice. I could feel her and the other woman behind the counter look at me the whole time as I made my way to the door. It was quite an eerie feeling. I asked Phil, "There must really be something wrong with me - did you see how they looked at me? Like I was going to die or something!" Phil, in his usual calm and collected manner, replied, "No, they're just not used to dealing with things besides earaches and allergy shots."

We got down to the building lobby, and I opened the letter from Dr. W to the Georgetown doctor and read it. I'm a "pleasant 26-year-old" presenting with unilateral tinnitus and hearing loss...MRI shows what could be a 1.5 cm acoustic neuroma...etc.

My hands are shaking a bit as we hail a cab to take us to Georgetown Hospital.

(In the interest of full disclosure, this post was actually written on 1/28/09.)

No comments:

Post a Comment